Sunday, June 19, 2011

Giving the Ovaries a rest, Medications and Paperworke

So it's official, we have started the first (and hopefully only) IVF cycle.  To start this about a week ago I had to go back on birth control, this is to help give my ovaries a rest from all the other cycles and medications that I have taken over the past year. I will take 3 weeks of active pills and then skip the placebo pills and then take 1 to 2 more weeks of active pills to make sure no follicles are being produced.

It's weird to be back on birth control after so long. Trying to remember to take it every day is hard. Sometimes I feel like I'm my own pharmacy and I need to lay all the pills that I am taking out so I can remember to take each of them every day. What makes taking these medications even worse is that I can't take them all at the same time. One has to be taken with food twice a day, one can should not be taken with in 2 hours of eating (which is hard because I try to eat 5 small meals a day so it feels like I am always eating...) the other should be taken at the same time every day to be most effective... I think though that the three different pills that I am on right now wont be anything compared to all of the injections I am getting ready to have to take.

On Friday 6-17-2011 Jonathan and I went in and signed all the consent paperwork for the IVF treatments. There was so much to go over. Giving consent for the procedures, filling out insurance paperwork, deciding what to do with any eggs that I not implanted, do you want to freeze them or not (if you freeze them and the first cycle doesn't work then you can try again with the frozen ones without all the pain and time of the first cycle).  We have to decided if we want to do what is called IVF with ICIS which is where if the sperm doesn't fertilize the egg on it's own or the lab finds something not quite correct they will take one sperm and inject it into one egg and fertilize it that way. There are some possible side effects for children conceived this way which makes us a little concerned about having to do this. I'm going to read up on it a little more then just the one piece of paper they gave to us and see if we can come to a conclusion of if we want to do this or not.

The hardest form to fill out and sign is yet to be completed. It's a form asking us what will happen to the frozen eggs if one or both of us should pass away or if we get divorced (which is not going to happen). It makes what should be a happy time of trying to start a family kind of a sad time, thinking about what would happen if something horrible happened to Jonathan is not something that I want to think about but I am now being forced to think about it and sign a paper stating what will happen to any frozen embryos... I think that our love for each other will help us make these decisions and make this form a lot easier to fill out.

Right now I am just waiting on my official calendar of doctors visits to come in the mail and my medication list to take to the pharmacy. Once I get that we will go back on July 13th for a medication review and start the heavy hitters (the injections to help grow as many follicles as possible to give us the best chance of growing out family soon)

I know this post doesn't really have a great flow and it's kinda choppy but that is what has been going on, will post more after my next appointment or if I get word of anything else.

No comments:

Post a Comment